St Marks dates back to 1852 when it became part of a three church circuit of the United Brethren in Christ church. It at first met in homes until a regular meeting place was arranged at a school house on West Front St in Findlay. In 1854 a new church was started and completed before the close of the year and that building still stands on the southwest corner of West Crawford and West streets.
In 1865 the church was incorporated and became “The Findlay Church of the United Brethren in Christ”. In 1884 the church became a single pastorate church with a membership of 160. In 1888 a new church was built at the southeast corner of West Hardin and South Cory streets.
Investigation for nearly 20 years for relocating and
building a new church that would remain in the downtown area of Findlay
resulted in ground breaking in 1950 of the present 800 S Main location. It was renamed the “First Evangelical United
Brethren Church” as a result of the nationwide merger of the “United Brethren
in Christ” and “The Evangelical Association” in 1948.
In 1968 with the nationwide merger of the United Brethren in Christ with the Methodist Church, St Marks adopted its present name, St Marks United Methodist Church. An elevator was added in 1974 to the back of the church building.
In 2005 a brand new building was built and dedicated as the DOCK (Doors Open for Christ’s Kingdom). This multifaceted facility has served in many capacities, including as a temporary police station during the 2007 flood. In addition to being a place our community can gather, it serves as our worship center for our 11:15 Sunday contemporary service, “the Gathering.”
In December of 2019, an addition was added to the main church building that included a new entryway, and an elevator, making us fulling handicap accessible. .
For over 170 years St Marks church has had a proud heritage of changing lives and reaching out into the Findlay community. We invite you to join us to impact the future with God’s grace in even greater ways than we have impacted the past.